As a 25 year resident of Naperville, I have had the privilege of knowing this community in so many ways: as a newlywed couple, a mom of five children, and now as an (almost) empty nester. During all of these stages I have come to love this beautiful town of Naperville and am somewhat of an expert on all it holds.
Located 28 miles west of Chicago, Naperville, Illinois is home to approximately 148,000 people. Naperville is the 4th most populated city in Illinois and consistently ranks as a top place to live, play, raise a family and retire.
Here are 10 facts I share with buyers looking to make a move to Naperville:
- Naperville is vibrant and GROWING – was the 2nd fastest growing city in Illinois between 2010 and 2020. There is something for everyone here – small family businesses, spas, specialty restaurants for every palette, and national retailers (Apple Store, Starbucks Reserve).
- Only 28 miles from downtown Chicago it is an easy commute – by Metra train, car, or uber/taxi.
- The scenic riverwalk winds through the downtown area and is known as the “crown jewel” of Naperville.The Riverwalk features 1.75 miles of brick paths, fountains, bridges, outdoor sculpture and artwork, recreational facilities and celebratory memorials. Perfect for walking or running or an easy stroll. You can find me here most mornings walking my dog.
- The Naperville Public Library system is a beacon of pride to the community and is consistently voted the #1 Public Library System in the US for population size. There are 3 different libraries scattered throughout the community and have many events for children, teens and adults.
- Naperville’s 2 public school systems consistently rank among the best in the state.
- Many neighborhoods contain the local elementary schools so you will find many children walking or riding their bike to school.
- Naperville has multiple private and parochial schools.
- North Central College is located in the heart of downtown Naperville. A number of other higher education institutions have primary or satellite facilities in and around Naperville providing residents an opportunity to advance their learning.
- Naperville Park District is home to world class parks – 136 of them! We certainly had our favorites when our kids were little but there is always a new one to try. In addition, there is a vast selection of recreation programs for all ages and diverse interests.
- I love the outdoors and maybe you do too. There are 70+ miles of trails that can be enjoyed by walkers, runners, bicyclists, skateboarders, scooter riders and inline skaters.
With all the amenities of a modern city and all the charm of a small town, Naperville truly is the premiere community in which to live, work and play.